Our client is a hospital that serves the North Midlands. They recently installed a new MRI unit.
The new MRI unit was suffering nuisance tripping on a daily basis. Numerous contractors looked at the issue and almost all stated it was due to harmonics. Johnson & Phillips were contacted for their specialist knowledge of power to 11kV. Our engineers attended the site and could identify the problem almost immediately. To prove this our engineers measured the supply to provide visual data. The following was found:
- Instability within the power supply.
- In rush attributed to incorrect PFC.
- Voltage differences due to network movement.
Johnson & Phillips provided a full solution from the initial contact. All work was managed and manufactured in-house. Johnson & Phillips manufactured and installed the following:
- Pulsed volumetric stored energy, to provide a ‘tank’ of energy to eliminate sags and swells.
- A voltage management transformer to provide a voltage cap between 400V–415V.
- Supplied intrinsic metering to ensure power quality and did the job required.
Immediate solution with no more nuisance tripping. This resulted in improved and more reliable patient care.