During a recent site visit to a snack food manufacturer a J&P engineer noticed a very hot 11kV transformer that fed the whole site. This transformer was only two thirds loaded at a power factor of 0.99. Clearly something was wrong.
The customer explained that this transformer was supplied in 2015 by another contractor as a new unit. The exterior of this transformer looked relatively new. The rating plate stated 2014. The transformer a 2000kVA oil filled unit with a close coupled HV Switch. Due to the temperature (92⁰) our engineer was very concerned and advised the customer that immediate investigation was required.
- J&P was tasked with this investigation.
- J&P isolated the HV Supply.
- J&P found numerous serious issues.
- Found Neutral bolts loose.
- Found no support on main LV Tails.
- Transformer lid removed.
- Found the core to be very old.
- Found LV internal busbars were undersized by two thirds.
- Found core and windings failing.
- Found customer had been deceived.
- J&P replaced transformer for new in 24hours.
- J&P ensured the correct earthing.
- J&P put right poor workmanship.
- J&P maintained professional approach.
- Customer ended up paying twice for original poor workmanship!